Greetings all! It’s been a while. It seems like 2015 was just the warm-up lap. Think that went fast? Watch 2016 fly by!
What of note happened in 2016… It’s like when you’re asked to note down all the parts of your job. It actually takes effort to think of it all. One of Gandalf’s first lines in ‘Fellowship of the Ring’ had it right:
“Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has… full of its own comings and goings…”
So yeah, nothing terribly exciting happened. Work, family life, a season of rugby that was nowhere near as successful as the one two years before, signed back up to the gym almost immediately afterwards…
Writing, you say?
There was plenty of that… for 6 months. The second half of the year was a big block of nothing, while the first half was fighting to make True Love’s Last Kiss the right length. Initially it was seven chapters, then it became ten, then twenty, then eighteen… then I lost the thumb drive that had it all, and lost a year and a half of work. Feeling a bit dumb about that is the understatement of the decade, but what can you do? It can be salvaged from submissions to my writers’ group.
So, priority #1 is find a way to finish True Love’s Last Kiss. That means re-instilling some of the self-discipline that has fallen by the wayside. After that, possibly start Book 2 in the series, maybe go Monty Python and opt for something completely different.
Yes, actually post something of consequence on this page, which has been terribly neglected for two whole years. Make it part of the discipline re-instillation program.
Let’s see how we go with those aims. I hope your 2017’s are going well thus far, and that you’re on your way to chasing down your resolutions, hopes and dreams =)
New England @ Atlanta for SB51 😉
Wow, 1.5 months since my last post! Naughtiness! Hope you have all been keeping well =)
So, what has happened between then and now…
- Finished off the Fringe Benefits Tax return for my employer. Two queries (and sub-queries) from Head Office (a nice low number), and a $50 thank-you gift card from the boss. Happy!
- 8 weeks into the new Club Rugby season. Not doing brilliantly (2-6), but the team morale is good and we are getting better at what we do. As long as one improves on their last effort, keeps learning from (and trying to correct) their mistakes, success will come. Brilliant if it’s by the end of the season, but strong foundations will be in place for next season.
- Had a trawl of my Dad’s bookshelf the last time I visited, which was too see my brother who flew over from Sydney for a visit. Amongst the books I borrowed, a particularly interesting one was ‘The Age of Wonder’ by Richard Holmes, which can be found here and here. It was a great read, with several story ideas that may be worth pursuing (one of which was a direct challenge by the author!). It focused heavily on some people, namely Joseph Banks, William and Caroline Herschel, and Humphrey Davy. Another book I borrowed was ‘The Comet Sweeper’, found here, which is an account of the life of Caroline Herschel. Can’t wait to read it, but it’s 18 books down my reading list =S
- Having reading some of his work in the ‘Dangerous Women’ anthology by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois, found here, I bought the ‘The First Law’ (hmmm, two the’s needed here?) series by Joe Abercrombie. Have almost finished the first book in the series, The Blade Itself (found here), I must say that it’s been a most enjoyable read, and has me excited to read the other two books in the series (guess what? Found here and here).
- I’ve officially entered a writing competition! My prologue novelette to True Love’s Last Kiss was submitted to a novelette-specific competition being held by a university on Australia’s east side. Now, for the anxious wait until June 30th when they will advise of one’s success or otherwise.
- Now, what to do until then… oh yes, actually get back into writing True Love’s Last Kiss. Perilously close to the 100 page milestone, I am looking at how to link ‘Evasion’ into it, as well as reschedule TLLK so its pacing and everything fits nicely into a 20 chapter story.
- As well as ‘Evasion’, TLLK is going to have some siblings! I had an apostrophe (RIP Bob Hoskins), and after consulting with my cohorts in writers’ group, their verdict was…
So, TLLK is now the first book of a trilogy! It will be joined by TLH and TLR, using the events of TLLK to springboard Grace into a larger world of intrigue and… well, can’t spoil it all now, hey? *nudge nudge wink wink*
Well, better get to critiquing some of my cohorts’ submissions for this week’s meeting, and start mentally preparing for tomorrow’s game of rugby in appalling, possibly-fixture-cancelling weather…
Have a good weekend, and hopefully it won’t be so long between posts and information shares =)