Wow, 1.5 months since my last post! Naughtiness! Hope you have all been keeping well =)
So, what has happened between then and now…
- Finished off the Fringe Benefits Tax return for my employer. Two queries (and sub-queries) from Head Office (a nice low number), and a $50 thank-you gift card from the boss. Happy!
- 8 weeks into the new Club Rugby season. Not doing brilliantly (2-6), but the team morale is good and we are getting better at what we do. As long as one improves on their last effort, keeps learning from (and trying to correct) their mistakes, success will come. Brilliant if it’s by the end of the season, but strong foundations will be in place for next season.
- Had a trawl of my Dad’s bookshelf the last time I visited, which was too see my brother who flew over from Sydney for a visit. Amongst the books I borrowed, a particularly interesting one was ‘The Age of Wonder’ by Richard Holmes, which can be found here and here. It was a great read, with several story ideas that may be worth pursuing (one of which was a direct challenge by the author!). It focused heavily on some people, namely Joseph Banks, William and Caroline Herschel, and Humphrey Davy. Another book I borrowed was ‘The Comet Sweeper’, found here, which is an account of the life of Caroline Herschel. Can’t wait to read it, but it’s 18 books down my reading list =S
- Having reading some of his work in the ‘Dangerous Women’ anthology by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois, found here, I bought the ‘The First Law’ (hmmm, two the’s needed here?) series by Joe Abercrombie. Have almost finished the first book in the series, The Blade Itself (found here), I must say that it’s been a most enjoyable read, and has me excited to read the other two books in the series (guess what? Found here and here).
- I’ve officially entered a writing competition! My prologue novelette to True Love’s Last Kiss was submitted to a novelette-specific competition being held by a university on Australia’s east side. Now, for the anxious wait until June 30th when they will advise of one’s success or otherwise.
- Now, what to do until then… oh yes, actually get back into writing True Love’s Last Kiss. Perilously close to the 100 page milestone, I am looking at how to link ‘Evasion’ into it, as well as reschedule TLLK so its pacing and everything fits nicely into a 20 chapter story.
- As well as ‘Evasion’, TLLK is going to have some siblings! I had an apostrophe (RIP Bob Hoskins), and after consulting with my cohorts in writers’ group, their verdict was…
So, TLLK is now the first book of a trilogy! It will be joined by TLH and TLR, using the events of TLLK to springboard Grace into a larger world of intrigue and… well, can’t spoil it all now, hey? *nudge nudge wink wink*
Well, better get to critiquing some of my cohorts’ submissions for this week’s meeting, and start mentally preparing for tomorrow’s game of rugby in appalling, possibly-fixture-cancelling weather…
Have a good weekend, and hopefully it won’t be so long between posts and information shares =)
Thankfully, revealing a great book deal that is arriving soon won’t land me in jail for insider trading or get me noted down on any Central American pages =)
The awe-inspiringly prolific Demelza Carlton, a member of the humble Writers’ Group I cohabit many amazing published and up-and-coming authors, who has published such wide and varied series as The Nightmares Trilogy, The Turbulence and Triumph Series, Ocean’s Gift, The Mel Goes To Hell Series and most recently The Romance Island Resort Series, is about to put out a mind-bogglingly brilliant deal.